I think there are so many variables that it's hard to come up with measurements this precise. Probably the best you can do is to look at how long it took to do a particular frame and then divide by the number of joints (if that's the metric you want to use). If I had to choose only one trade secret that I would be reluctant to share with my competitors, it would be my estimating formulas. Because the truth is that I do bid against other timber framers. And while I often win even if I'm not the guy with the lowest price, I still don't want my competitors knowing what my number is going to be.

As far as keeping my shop floor running efficiently, I make sure I hire joiners that are enthusiastic about the work. I try to give them input into decisions we make so they feel they have a stake in our results, and care about the quality. If they care, they won't mind when you show them how to do it better (both speed and accuracy). I never take a stopwatch to them. If you spend any time on the shop floor, you can tell who's slacking off, and who doesn't care about the quality of their work. You don't need a number to tell you that. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG