Originally Posted By: northern hewer
Hi everyone tonight:

I demonstrated for many years the traditional hewing of timber to many hundreds of thousands of tourists and students from one end of this country to another, and I never questioned what or where my image ended up. It was though improper for my employer to use my image to sell a product like a post card without my authorization and consent.

Having said that I do not believe that a casual video shot by an interested party warrants scruitiny, yet also having said that I also know that the world is changing rapidly and one has to be careful.

NH

Thanks for the comments, NH.

Regarding the request to post the video, I haven't heard jack from Jack.

I was thinking about it the other day...he probably had only an inkling of what I was saying on that voice mail. I mean he may have no idea what youtube even is. He could have thought I was drunk, slurring my words. He either dismissed my message as that of a crazy man, or he's simply too busy to respond.

What I have is a 6-minute clip of him, Gabel, Mike Beaudry and a handfull of other attendees simply shooting the bull on hewing. I like it b/c it's informal and shows Jack in a relaxed "time off" mode. He's just commenting (with his hand in his pockets at times) and sharing recollections of his own hewing history. He picked up the Tee axe, gave it a look-see and commented. Gabel is shown hewing w/ that axe a bit, too.

I guess I asked Jack whether he objected to my posting the video b/c he is a celebrity in the TF world and I want to show some respect-- especially given the seemingly reclusive profile he has w/in TFG.

I'm sure he saw me "filming." I was just feet from him holding my camera kind of low.

Funny how one can publish a book and want that promoted, but pictures and video can be another matter. Most likely b/c books are edited by those involved in the process.

At any rate, I never wanted to profit from that video, just share it w/ our community as many of us respect and are curious about this man they call Jack. But as NH also pointed out, the world is changing rapidly and one has to be careful...

Perhaps I should write him a letter w/ a copy of that video enclosed and explain, if I can, what youtube is.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...