12 is something to ponder.

The Daisy Wheel is much like a clock face of 12 hours, it just skips every other hour. I'd be interested to learn more of what Gabel was saying in the beginnings of this in the other thread. The setting of the dividers, etc. What part of the wheel was used for what parts of the frame, etc?

In the following diagram, tie-beam to peak (Kingpost) is the radius of the wheel. Post length seems to be the same measurement. Building width is determined by the spread of where #'s 2, 4 & 8, 10 (if you think of it as a clock face) fall on the wheel...

Some accounts say the Daisy Wheel wasn't necessarily an architectural model, but a symbol to ward off bad spirits. It was inscribed/painted on fireplace mantels or other central locations in the home, as well as outside one's door. This sounds like a pagan custom, suggesting the Wheel may be from another pre-christian culture.

I've often thought the "whetting bush," the small tree attached to the peak of freshly-raised frames, has its origins in pagan lore as well. Christianity typically does not honor animal totems, or give thanks to trees, etc. It is concerned w/ honoring one god with nature pretty far down on the hierarchy. Praising a tree or the forest is more in keeping w/ native american (or pagan) philosophy.

I wonder how old the Wheel is thought to be?

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...