it is a fascinating idea... along with the golden section and other devices to create 'ideal' and 'appealing' (note the quotes) geometry.

but, if we argued about the computer putting the designer on autopilot - it seems the daisy wheel can do the same. translating this to contemporary technology - one could certainly write a dynamic component in sketchup or a script in autocad or even a spreadsheet that took a few variables and could generate the post plan and bent design in a few seconds of computing time. and you could potentially write in rules for sizing of timber based on spans or hierarchy within the frame.

as it stands now i can throw all of the timber into a roof system on autopilot by filling out a form in HSB (but it is not smart enough to deal with alignment, balance, spcaing, etc. on complex roofs - so i never use it for timber - but i imagine it could make sense for conventional framing @ 16" or 24" OC.)

so the daisy wheel can be seen as a primitive computer for buildings - if it is determined that it was more than a maker's mark or symbol of building. seems that you probably could find examples that approximate the geometry... and may even match it. but to find out how it may have been used as a framers guide - that would be interesting. who designed the system? how was it handed down? was it a local guild secret? variations between regions (snow, wind, rain, local timber play into it?) etc. etc.

might have to find some free time to do something in sketchup with this concept... hmmm... should be able to derive all the geometry out of a few samples and regenerate that basic bent design by adjusting pitches / etc. by scaling and or moving items.

Last edited by bmike; 05/11/09 04:35 PM.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com