Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL

I don't see the daisy wheel as being pagan. How do you define pagan anyway? Sun worshipers? Why are there so many pyramids found around the world?

Tim

Tim,

The term Pagan is often misunderstood. Many years ago, I used to think it meant devil worship. Think pentagram (sometimes displayed as an upsidedown star.) Rightside up (within a circle) is the pagan symbol.

But paganism is a religion that basically subscribes to many different gods, typically based on the seasons and nature. Pagans are very in touch w/ the natural rhythms of life: the circle of life. The Druids and Celts (the indigenous peoples of England) were pagans. Those who built Stonehenge were pagans.

Christianity expelled/cleansed/drove these gods from the minds of early Europeans. "One God" was to be worshipped, and certainly not an earthly-based one.

Pagans do not subscribe to the idea of "one god" up in a "heaven."

Ancient Roman and Greek mythology celebrated a host of gods; this a pagan trait. Kind of like the Native Americans, most early Asian cultures (Tibet, Buddhists, etc.) Pretty much all the world's indigenous cultures, really...

The wheel may be christian, it may be pagan... I guess my question is whether it was a building tool or a ceremonial tool.

If it was for ceremony (whatever church it may be from), it basically means the layout of old buildings has a religious basis.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...