Thanks, Will.

I suppose we can now conclude that the top of these girts at 23" (and the lower edge of the girts in the other barn at 24") have some other reason for their placement than the 2' mark.

Girt placement is just another detail to compare when visiting these frames. It will be interesting to see if a pattern develops. I have been in 7-8 of these frames so far, all but one has been scribed.

As to the reasons for building this way (w/ no plates), one thought is it may have been employed to avoid hewing an elaborate jowled post. All the posts I've encountered so far are square throughout--no taper, etc. Many of these barns date to the early 1800s when jowling was still common.

Of course access to long plate stock is another theory behind these frames. but these do have long stock just the same. The longest members in these buildings seem to be the tie beams. 40' continuous ties are typical. Have yet to find a scarfed tie in any of these frames.

Maybe these frames were easier to raise? No need to hoist a large wall plate, etc. Very modular style...

Who knows?

Again, if anyone out there has seen this type of construction, please let us know. (A call to the TTRAGers!)

I'll post more regarding braces in these frames soon.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...