Boiled linseed oil can be either boiled or have heavy metal driers, I've seen some manufacturers recently that do state which process they use, sorry no names stuck. Raw around here turns gummy and black, we are pretty humid and have lots of floating goodies in the air that stick to it.

For indoor work you can cure the blotchies in pine using a stain conditioner or a washcoat of a compatible clear finish cut about half with a compatible thinner. Basically filling the rising and falling grain somewhat that is soaking up a lion's share of the stain trying to get uniform absorption of the color. Notice a blotch is where there is other than straight grain. It's those long softwood fibers at fault.

The only time dry rot has made any sense to me is in the old use I've seen a couple of places where they are describing a film forming finish over green timbers causing dry rot. Basically the painter turned the timber into compost in a sealed bag. Film forming finishes on large exterior timbers is a definite no-no unless you can guarantee that all checks are sealed. What I've seen is liquid water entering checks, it must then evaporate as a much larger volume of vapor which the film inhibits. This causes the moisture content of the entire surrounding area to rise above fiber saturation point, that point where not only the microfibrils are saturated but there is excess moisture in the lumens, this supports decay fungi. I've scooped out hot compost by hand from behind the film. A water repellant but vapor permeable finish is the ticket, problem is 3 or so coats of that and you have a film. I have noticed decreased checking when we prestain green wood. My feeling is that it decreases the moisture gradient in the timber. You don't have a rapidly drying and shrinking shell around a still fat swollen green core. It moderates the rate of surface drying. All of these are games of rate that depend heavily on the uncontrolled conditions around you. Dry too slow and the wood stains or rots, dry too fast and it turns to toothpicks, somewhere between those two ditches is the road.