Originally Posted By: cedar
It is no surprize to me that the CNC has caught up to log building. The technology will put people out of work again. For doing kits and large projects which require mutiple indentical pieces the CNC will save time, cash, and labour.

most production log homes are already 'milled' logs of various profiles. the process clark is describing is quite different - and very intriguing to see how they pull it off.

commenting on only the process described (i'd love to see more details) seems that the goal is to begin the automation of full scribed log work - the logs mentioned are somehow scanned (photography? laser?) and computer modeled. the designer stacks and sorts these in a CAD program and the machine then cuts the various pieces to fit.

very very different from production milled logs, where all logs are milled to specific sizes and profiles cut - basically like T&G for log building. the process you describe is more like the milled log home kit - and no CNC is needed (although I'm sure they are used)

Last edited by bmike; 06/08/09 01:09 AM.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com