Shawn's first and only two post so far have a lot of information. Some info left out is the height, width and length of the buildings? The post being 8x8, the tie 2' below the plate(is that an estimate?), many layers of roofing equating too much weight on the roof and more. Even photos here on the forum would not do justice, and you could send 10 different people to the site and still get a wide variance in opinion. I would like to see photos of the 2 buildings, if for nothing else to see the variations in building styles around the country.

I am curious if the post themselves have been stressed? They are hardwood, something I don't see in my softwood region. I am guessing, due to this, they should be holding up better than the spruce and pine 8x8's I see here. The buildings have been stabilized with cables ( the first stage) allowing some breathing room. I would strip the old roofing and install metal, lightening the load in the heavier times of the year.

I also like Will's suggestion of the strap running along the tie and out through the mortice and down the post, this is where the engineer comes in and gives lengths number of fasteners etc., if one wishes to go in that direction. Is the mortice a through mortice? They have used straps with a small truss on the end of it bolted to the inside of the post, running along the top of the tie, more engineering.

I would venture to guess that even with a well engineered building, time will through in some chaotic aspects that were not allowed and result in failure, war comes to mind.

Bmike also points out the foundation and how this could change other aspects of the building worthy of noting. By the way, what is the expected life of modern concrete, 150-200 years? What happens when these concrete foundations fail? Is concrete like vinyl siding, vinyl is final.

Tim

Last edited by TIMBEAL; 06/10/09 11:44 AM.