I'm with Tim, From your previous description, I thought the roof system in question was one of simple rafters, which is why I floated a canted purlin post / plate system as a potential repair scheme...

This does much to drive home and emphasize why it is not just unwise, but not particularly useful to discuss these matters without photographs and dimensions.

Tim has the key there, are the rafters one piece ? And how do they join the purlin plate ? Is there an abutment of some sort ?

I'm guessing there is, and I'm almost certain the frames problem is not that of a thrust issue, at least not in the way you believe it to be. If it were, that massive drop and the resulting moment (were the thrust left unchecked) would have broken those spindly posts which are incredibly weakened by section removed in joining braces at the same locale (really really poor design) long before pegs sheared or relish popped.

Are any of the tying joints pegged ? Missing pegs may have ironically helped save the posts when the dynamic changed.

I'm thinking, the geometry was lost when that tie fell away and some thrust from the section of the roof above it (part of two bays) was redirected to the plates. And that who ever placed those cables did not have anything with enough uumph to pull it back together completely, ( neither do truck straps nor typical cable comealongs - Just because TF'ers use them does not mean they are appropriate rigging for tweaking buildings in restoration applications ) and called it done, short of being done. Something that is typical of stopgap repair. They did however, fix the leak and stabilize the situation, which ultimately did save the barn.

You need to hire in a consultant that knows what they are looking at, and can recommend the right equipment to pull things back into contention and help you choose a proper tension scarf for the tie.

As an aside - Restoration is as much about rigging as it is about carpentry, which is to say it is as much or more about knowing how to read a frame and realign the geometry a frame was built to, than it is about cutting the repairs, and knowhow is as important as skill. It is a demanding business on multiple levels, and often entered into by those who are under-equipped and think they can just wing it.

It is typical of hungry carpenters to turn to barn repair during downturns in the economy, often as much bad as good is the result.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/