Hello!

A lathe is usually a tool that is larger than the piece of metal or wood that it is shaping. By using a chainsaw to spin and cut and shape a column, I am opening a new field of application for that tool. It is clear to me that columns with attractive contours were installed in older houses and have been replaced by rectangular prisms because the carpenter have now way to make to duplicate the original design.

With additional attachment that would allow the chainsaw to follow the contour of the original design, a 100 pounds of equipment could soon be doing the work of a lathe that weights two tons.

15 years ago, I copied the contour of a column with a chainsaw. Recently I needed a replacement column and had to make one with a chainsaw again. I tried to find out if anyone else had a video clip depicting the use of a chainsaw as a lathe, and found nothing similar. This explains why I think that this video clip could make chainsaw history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdxtPu5MkIY&feature=channel

I would appreciate a rating from people who know about chainsaws. If you plan to add control to it, I could help

Thank you and have a good day!

P R Paul

Note:

As usual I try to give additional information in the "info" section of the video clip. But, without someone else doing the filming, I could only show the very basic setup for this mechanical improvisation. However, the scary part is that the whole thing can spin out of control if the chainsaw is kept straight and pressure is applied. The faster you spin the less you cut. In order to cut efficiently, the blade has to intermittently make contact with the wood at an angle. Friction resistance can be introduced at a point that has already been made round. By example under that piece of wood that is holding the bucket of water, a piece of sandpaper could be glued to make contact with the spinning beam (a plastic gallon of water with a cap would be better than an open bucket, in order to control the contact pressure). As a matter of fact, you could even have two chainsaws working on the same beam. The stronger chainsaw will have the spinning start in one direction while the smaller weaker chainsaw (or rotary sander) would cut in the opposite direction and create some drag that will make the larger chainsaw cut efficiently. It could be a completely wild thing. But, It can also be setup in a factory setting with precision pantograph type guidance.