It was late last night and I had to sign off... Let me explain what I mean by getting rid of the Archive Section.

By all means we should keep what's there. But from here on out, I'm proposing we don't ever "retire" a thread to that section or anywhere else. Archived threads can't be re-opened, etc. Why kill a seemingly-dead thread? New members may come along and want to add to or discuss them.

I like what's happened w/ Norther Hewer's "Historic Hewing Questionnaire." This massive thread is what I'm proposing for a model. Currently, this forum is extremely broad. Perhaps too broad. Norther Hewer's thread has been a catch-all for all things broadaxe and hewing.

Instead of forum categories like "General Forum Questions," "Barns and Traditional TF," "This Old Building," etc, maybe we should be fine-tuning the categories and don't let threads w/in them ever become "archived" (shelved).

Some "new" categories might be:

Scribe Rule
Covered Bridges
Tying Joints
Pegs
SketchUp / Frame Design
Raising A Frame
Dating a structure
Wall Plates
Saw Marks (young and old)
Milling timbers
Hewing
Tools for Sale
Jowled Posts
Square Rule
Pricing Jobs
Conferences
Hundegger / CNC
Wood Finishes
Wood Science
Scarf Joinery
Restoring & Repair
Boring Machines
Slicks & Chisels
Axes & Throwing
Frame Enclosure Systems
Mortise & Tenons
Nails & Fasteners
Building Surveys
Staging
Shop Layout & Design
etc
etc
etc

Of course, this is just a start. (Holy Cow!! TF is a huge field!!) There would still be the need for catch-all categories, but my point is, I think we would be better served if the forum got more specific. This would also aid in searching out information. Just go to a category of interest and start poking around. Perhaps, too, there should be a way to petition the moderator to add a category (quickly and easily) if someone had the need (like Cupolas, etc). The moderator would also be able to suggest an existing category for the topic as well.

I don't know what the Forum has for space constraints or financial concerns, (please enlighten us Joel) but maybe there needs to be a small fee attached ($5 month) to using this service that would help the forum grow. Maybe new users could get their first month free to try out our little online treasure trove, but would then need to pony up some support to stay long term.

Food for thought.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...