Agree with Clark. I think the broad categories work well enough. There just isn't the traffic here to spit hairs down to DNA level. And adding way to many categories will only confuse new folks to the forum - "Do I put this in 'traditional barn joinery cut with stone?" or "Do I put this in 'modern undersquinted CAD designed metal pinned scarf cut with period correct Japanese hand tools?" I think it adds a whole level of confusion. Currently we can't even keep on topic in a single thread.

If the TFG did anything it might move this to a more powerful forum system that offered tagging, keywords, sorting, etc. etc.

But, when I only see 1.2 new posts a day (depending if its busy season or if we are arguing about technology ruining our craft) it seems silly to further divide this up.

A good way to work on the problem would be to actually develop the forum guidelines and self police a bit (this would require actually reading the forum guidelines to begin with). There should be ways for moderators to move and to split threads into new posts, and folks should start new topics when things change so much the subject line no longer applies.

But again, until traffic picks up - I don't see it as a necessity.

And yes, a Wiki would be good. Didn't we start one of those somewhere? Wasn't there a long thread about it? wink

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com