Hi Zach,

There are bound to be thousands of historical survey reports contained within the archives of many local history groups plus of course the TTRAG archive, however the problem remains with the publication of same especially if this betrays any confidences agreed at the time of the survey - implied or otherwise.

I am aware of a number of books published this side of the pond but to date The Framed Houses of Massachusetts Bay by Abbott Lowell Cummings remains one of the best illustrated books on traditional New England timber-framed designs.

There is no doubt that this type of book is in short supply mainly because of the time required to measure, gather, compile and present the data involved in a meaningfull way.

I have in the past suggested to Joel that The TFG publish a compendium of North American regional designs plus selected international designs but as yet I am not aware of progress made in this respect.

I have by now examined about 1500 historic timber framed buildings and have produced 3D CAD models (easily translated into Sketchup) for about 30 or so the very best. Tomorrow I will survey and add a 3 bay crown post roof building to the collection which dates from 1324 and this timber-frame demonstrates a surprising level of sophistication which really be shared with other designers and carpenters.

If the tome that you seek does not yet exist then a collective effort might solve this problem.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !