Hi Don,

Please forgive my not answering your thread in sequence but I had to go off, read and digest your reference article which is very good and a "must" to read in respect of this thread.

It seems once again that there might well be a juxtaposition in the use of the words Preservation and Conservation between the UK and USA.

Who is correct ?

One of the major features of the English language is that it is continually moving forward and the meaning(s) understood for the use of the same words will change with time. Is this just simply a case of the USA being out of synchronisation with the UK ?

For us "preservation" means just that i.e. its more akin in modern parlance to "freeze frame" whereas "conservation" allows a little more freedom to move forward recognising that for a building to remain relevant to society and its future occupants that some changes might be required e.g. the addition of indoor plumbing, telephone & electric cables, provision of a garage rather than carriage shed and stable or possibly allowing "adaptive reuse" of a carriage shed to become a garage !

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !