Originally Posted By: Cecile en Don Wa
Hi,
to me this sounds like imposing subjective values on what to now has been approached somewhat objectively. The implication is that conservation, for example, is superior to than say, fixing. If that is so, how and why? If anything, categorize alphabetically or chronologically.
I also question the relevance of the Japanese example. I believe they take apart and then rebuilt particular temples or structures, over regular time-spans of for example 25 or 200 years or something I don't know. Like I said though I think this is a very different topic containing elements of Zen Buddhism.

OK, so forget about the Japanese reference. I was interested in how more than just our anglo referenced minds might look at that list.

How has this been objective? Isn't language by its nature subjective? The only way to have this work objectively would be to have a formula for applying each term: (but then we could say the formula's were being subjective or politicized or partisan)

Quote:
IF Building A has 75% of its original roof and / or 100% of its original foundation + 80% of glazing intact - the addition and car port put on by the Brady's in the '70s + 10 of 12 daisy wheels and maker's marks + hewn floor joists THEN the building qualifies for conservation IF the client has 60% deposit in cash with bank financing for the balance. OR call in the salvage crew.

And I think that to some extent there is a value issue that should be reinforced. In a world with dwindling resources, dwindling piles of money to throw around at projects (old and new), and environmental resource issues due to over consumption of our consumer economy... doesn't it make more sense to conserve and reuse than to tear down, demolish, and rebuild? To me a continuum of best practices would have that list be in a somewhat hierarchical line.

Or, perhaps there needs to be 2-3 different lists... depending on one's world view, trade, social outlook, etc... If you run a salvage company every older out of plumb building might start to look like $$, and if you run a conservation / restoration business every out of plumb building looks like an opportunity to get in there and make some $$ getting it back to its former glory... and if you like smashing things - every out of plumb building looks like an opportunity to bring in the wrecking ball and dumpsters.

Last edited by bmike; 10/13/09 03:23 PM.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com