Don't wind these guys up on that past issue Chuck. I'll take you at your word that you are who you say you are, until you prove me wrong.

What makes you a timberframer? Well I've only been at it for 3 years now, and I've helped build 2 frames, and helped raise a total of 4. I've acquired much knowledge to add to my design and engineering and hands on building backround. I consider myself a timberframer as I know I can jump in and build or help build a frame. But besides all that stuff, I think what really makes me one, is my love of the process, and doing the details well. To me, those who just want the end product, the frame or home, are missing the best part, the hands on, the thinking, the building, the attention to detail and wanting it do be done well, even the stuff no one else will ever see. From all the people I've met in the guild so far, that seems to be a common thread. We're all nuts like that. I restore my own classic cars too. When I am actually finished with one, I find it anticlimactic. It's the process I enjoy. For all those people who buy a classic car, or a timberframe home finished, I sort of feel sorry for them, because they've missed the best part. There's a whole different level of appreciation and satisfaction that goes with the process. On the flip side, it can also sometimes take some of the mystery or magic away, but usually the other stuff more than makes up for that.

Yes, I'd use glue to fix a chip out situation if it were something that was going to show, but I'm not going to use it in a structural situation.
A grinder? We have to get you to cut that out. Not sure how you'd even use one in a frame construction. We have these things called chisels. You're sounding like a hacker when you talking about using a grinder. Steve Chappell summed it up best for me when he described timberframing as a "pursuit of perfection and grace." Does that describe you or not?

Last edited by brad_bb; 01/10/10 04:01 AM.