Originally Posted By: Ken Hume
Hi Richard,

You state - that poplar was never widely used.

How do you know this and what test have you employed to arrive at this conclusion ?

How many buildings have you sampled and were these in poplar growing areas ?

You state that it twists and is prone to rotting and hence this implies that somebody has converted it for use in some respect or other. What was that use ?

We need to establish some hard "evidence based" facts in respect of the use of poplar.

Regards

Ken Hume

Hi Ken and others looking in, I would like to respond to your comments that relate to my reply above,

I have over the years had the opportunity to examine many historic structures, and I can honestly say that none contained to any noticeable extent poplar lumber, or poplar timber. This is not to say that a board or 2 may have strayed in during repairs in later years

There is no test that I am aware of but rather during my surveying of these buildings I carefully examined boarding and timbers visually for specie, axe marks, nails, size of timbers, timberframing techniques, and maybe the way the doors and hinges were constructed etc.

You were wondering what "Hard Evidence" I used, I think thatmy statement relates to what my hard evidence is, actual examination of old historic structures that survive in this area of the world.

Anytime that I make a comment it is meant to help those that ask questions and is to expand their knowledge through my many years of experience.

I hope that this clears up how I formulate my responses in many areas, and for sure is not the last word on any subject

NH