First off, thank you to everyone for your replies and interest in this. I appreciate it.

The ideal solution would be to save the barn in place and get to enjoy it. But I need to be realistic. If that would take more money than I have, well I guess I'm outta luck. If we reach that point, then dismantling for a better life elsewhere will be the answer. I do not intend to push it into a pit and burn it. (I am also thankful that the first several replies weren't saying "You're nuts! That's not worth saving.")

Function? Big ol' barn I guess. That's enough for me. (I'd fill it, mind you. But I have no aspirations of living in it or anything.)

Repair vs. restore? - I understand that. (I'm an old car guy.) My long-term dream plan would be closer to restore. i.e. painted wood siding, maybe a steel roof, try to keep as much of the fieldstone foundation as possible. Real timber repairs (not so much steel plates and the like). Although I don't see myself paying $800 for a period-correct light fixture or anything. The short-term plans might fall more into "repair." Much more water & frost and there won't be any "restoration" to talk about.

Process? (Well, "cute" ain't happening.) I would like to have a grasp of the total, then break it down into manageable parts. So, yes, dividing the laundry list as described. I just feel I'm out of my element in terms of understanding the total cost.

Emotional attachment? No, it's not my family farm or anything. Still...

Am I likely to find a single contractor to get this all into shape or should I be looking for a jacking/foundation guy first, then a roof guy, then a frame guy, etc? Seems like there are always people dropping in eager to "salvage" the thing. Must be a good market for parts. Same as old cars I guess.

Well, thanks again.
-Karl