I used a garden cart / wagon (4 wheeled) on the last frame I solo cut. When timber arrived I carefully staged materials with a rented 4x forklift (to get things off the truck). I made some oak stickers / levers that I used and 80% of the timber was moved in and out of the shop on my own.

I was working in a 3 bay shop. Outside of the end bay had all my major timber in 4 piles stacked 2 to a side, about chest high (higher for the smaller stuff). Tarped as needed. timber cart could be rolled out between the piles and I could pull materials in and out as needed.

It took some planning - but I would move timber in, layout and join in the end bay, then slide over to the middle bay for oiling / finishing. Timbers would then roll out and be stacked - either back on the original bunks, or into a finish pile and tarped. Was even able to handle some 8x16x26' sticks by myself...

Amazing what you can move with some levers, stickers, and balance points.

I really wanted one of those bicycle wheel carts... never had the time to make one up.

This is what I used to good success - removed the sides and bolted down some softwood blocks: (mine was yellow, picked up from a local garden center)

Handle was just left up between sticks (I'd often bring in 2 sticks at a time). I had a pretty straight shot in - and with the handle up I still had some steering capability when I needed to move things to a further away finish pile...

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com