Hey all,
I selected a "test" tree on my property for cutting. It is about a 100 year old Oak. I knew it would hang up so I attached a 100' long rope to the top of the tree. After cutting I pulled it down with my tractor. Landed just right. Had a nice "hinge" for the falling. Problem #1: The tree sheared right up the middle of trunk about 3 feet effectively making it too short for a post. I believe this occurred because of pulling it with the tractor creating a lot of compression on one side and tension on the other. My cutting notch needs to be > shaped next time instead of _\ which I think will relieve the compression pressure. Problem #2: I felt a lot of grief after cutting down the tree and found that I had to shut myself down emotionally in order to get it done. I don't have a solution for this problem except that we are renewing our search for salvage lumber. There is just something about Oak. I don't think I would have trouble cutting down pine or fir which grows like weeds around here...