Hi Paul;

Professional chain saw training in maine now involves a method of cutting where you make a notch and then plung your saw through the tree being sure to not to cut the hinge. Then, the last part you cut is the farthest point from the notched side. This, they say, is the safest method of cutting.

I do not know what this method is called. I looked quickly online but nothing came up. I thought there might be a video showing what I am talking about.

One of the advantages of this method is you will not get the middle of the log torn out, if that is what you mean by "the tree sheared up the middle".

I saw this demonstrated at the best fair in Maine,, the Common Ground Fair, if that helps you track down more information on this method of felling.

Felling a tree for lumber is like butchering an animal to eat. Everyone should experience it to appreciate what they have and understand what goes into making a 2x4 or hot dog.

Many woodworkers justify the murder of inocent trees in that they will "live" on for possibly hundreds of years as someone's material possession. Firewood does not add to global warming, it is a cycling of the carbon unlike reintroducing captured carbon from underground oil wells.

O.K., I am getting off my soapbox now.

Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909