hihotio,

I get what you're saying, and there's some of it that I even agree with. I'm not even offended by your want for sexing up the industry (whatever works for you, man. Good luck with that one)

But consider this:
"Wow, timber frames sure are awesome, now that Harrison Ford told me what they are! What a super guy! He must own a timber frame... I wonder what company built his frame? That's who I want to build mine."
Are you ready for this game?

Bob Seger wasn't supporting the auto industry as a whole - he was being paid millions by ONE company to endorse their product. If a celebrity supports the TFG by saying they own a timber frame, they are on that slippery slope to endorsing the company that built their frame. Most celebs have smart enough agents (!) to know that you do not do anything for free, and would advise against this in an instant.

How about getting your clients' testimonials. Or go with the best advertising in our industry: word of mouth. When Harrison Ford's guests walk through his home, I'm quite sure they're impressed, and he will tell them all about timber frames and the company that built his (ahem) which will generate new, pre-qualified interest.

It's a crappy economy out there, but it's getting better. Just have to ride out the storm for the long haul.

Peace