I have been baffled for some time as to what the various dirt pits are around my abandoned farm land. They seem like old cellar holes but not enough rocks, the dirt is pulled up and around the pit. Could be an old ice house spot as another choice. They vary in size, most are the size of a small car, the hole that is.

I am putting single pane, old glass, salvaged windows in the new section I am adding on to my existing house. I will put insulated shutters or some such thing on them if I find them cold.

The performance of the straw cabin is OK. We do not use it a lot in the winter. The children and friends spent the night in it this past winter. A fire was build earlier in the day and it was fine for them through the night, I just asked and they said it was fine no problem. That is coming from a 15 year old with other things on his mind. I want to believe a clay sealing layer would cut down on air infiltration and keep the straw smell to a minimum, maybe.

I would not worry about the rough texture, as I would still board the side walls and stud and side the exterior, you would not see the infill system. Yes, I would have to think of the dryablity of the clay coated bale against the boarded wall. I suspect it would dry as it is not the complete thickness of the wall which is soaked and needs drying. It may call for a test wall.

As for SIPs, I would rather play with a different material. They sure do have their sensible side, no arguments there, I like the wrap and strap system as well, this is what I am using on my plank walled addition. I switched due to the time frame of the project, there is none, and I can apply foam to the walls any time it arises. I am still planning on clay infilled interior walls, chips and slip in a studded wall with clay plaster.

Tim