I have a frame barn that the hayloft has fallen down and some of the posts have rotted where it set on a log that was held up by rocks. I need to jack up the beam and cut it and put some new wood and reset it but I don't know how I should attach the jack to the beam to lift it up. I was told by an old barn builder that he used a chain wrapped around the beam and put in a grove notch in the jack head. But do I put the jack on the inside of barn or on the out side or on the side, and how would you put attach it to the beam to lift it I don't have a jack with a notch. The Post is about 10" X 10" sq. and about 15' tall. I also have to put a cross beam back up the wood tenon is broke on one side so I thought of nailing a board underneath to hold it or should I use a post.The cross beam is 10' X 10' too. The rest of the buildings on my farm are log and I have no problem making repair to them but a frame barn was put up when the log barn burned and the unburned logs were used to help build the frame barn. I can hew a log but a frame building is a new critter to me I would be thankful for any advice.