I'm not that familiar with the old ways but, this summer I just did the layout on a 3 bay barn with two carpenters so lets give it a shot.

I don't know much about foundations of the time so I will leave that to someone else.

Ok lets start with the ideal tool kit of the time. Please feel free to add to this or subtract from it as you feel fit.

2 hand saws crosscut and rip
1 brace and bit
1",1 1/2", 2" bits
2 rafter squares
I would say a couple combination squares but they were apparently invented in 1878 so scratch that.
2+ framing chisels
1+ slicks
1 sharpening stone
1 file
1+ string lines
a measuring stick of some sort. (tape measures and folding rulers were invented 1850+)
1 marking gauge
1 draw knife
2-3 mallets if not made on site
1 froe
1 shaving horse if not made on site
2-3 hammers/hatchets with poles
1 awl
1 marking tool or knife(to replace a pencil)

I would also assume he may have the following
-an assortment of axes, one of which being a hewing ax
-an adz
-most carpenters would have had a couple planes too.

I suspect I'm missing stuff but its a start.

I would start by getting the mules ready(probably log ends), pegs going, and then move into knee braces using the worst stock for that first. After a few knee braces the helpers should be fine finishing them off and I would get myself at least a half day jump on the straightening of timbers and layout of the frame.

The first day would be shorter. Kind of an intro. After that I would be leaving for work at dawn and coming home just before dusk. My helpers might show up just a bit later or leave a bit earlier if they had pigs to feed or cows to milk.

Price I will leave to someone else. Although I probably would have the owner pay the helpers directly if he knows them well.

Leslie Ball
NaturallyFramed.ca