Hi Mo,

The proper length to width, such as a 2" mortice should be even numbered in length, like 4, 6, 8, inches long. I take it that is what you mean? I like to do that with my joinery, but it does not necessarily have to be. When I use my 1-1/2" bit I leave a 1/4" or so of wood between the holes this is removed with the corner chisel, then the sides are slicked. I find if the holes are in contact with each other chips can bind in the inter-medium, a chip gets caught between the bore hole and the bit, making it more difficult to turn. This is not as much of a problem with my 2" original bits. On long mortices 12" - 24" and longer even shorter ones sometimes, I try to I try to bore as few holes as possible. I find a 1" between holes is the most I want to deal with usually 1/4"-1/2". Also on a brace mortice I do not bore the ends first, I start at the heal/butt end and work toward the the bevel. I find this will save a hole as well for you can knock a bevel on the remaining scrap.

I am doing these steps as experiments to shorten the process. I waffle back and forth on how I proceed through a mortice. I try not to get my self caught in a rut, I might miss a detail or short cut, so I mess around with patterns and such looking for a simpler process.

I do use a corner chisel to clean between holes if necessary and the ends as well. I believe the 3/4" is for the 1-1/2" mortice and the 1" is for the 2" mortice. I use just the 3/4" chisel, it will cut both easily. The 1" is too fat for the 1-1/2" mortice, it extends into the other corner. Jack Sobon does not use a corner chisel, he just drives the correct size normal chisel through both corners and with a prying action forces the crud into the mortice. Jack is a big boy, and I, not so big, I tend to lean toward removing a smaller portion with the corner chisel. On 2" mortices I drive each corner twice, I find it is less jarring on the body, all the heavy pounding. Kind of like handling boards I will go with a single board in stead of 2, more trips but I am not beat out, I am taking a comfortable load or chip for me.

Knots, you will look for better wood, which is what you should be doing anyway. A bonus for the hand cranked machines, it makes you work with the wood. I think that is why they are called "nots", not here, you don't bore.

If you find it takes longer than the Mafell, you need to crank the handles faster, or hide the extension cord. grin

Tim