I am not limiting myself. In fact, I do not limit myself to the extent that timber framing is not the only kind of construction I am involved in. That's right folks, I still will build a stick frame now and then.

As I said, this is just one option. If I had my way I would do all infills of some form or another, like waddle and daub or clay or brick. But not everyone who wants a timber frame would want that. Really if I could I would build all of my building with super wide eaves and half hip roofs, in a bernese Swiss style -but most people probably won't go for that. (that said, the design of my frames is headed in the direction of Swiss framing in a hurry, although the overall appearance remains faithful to American architecture for those who want it to) I can easily see how someone might get the idea that such a system is dirty or crude. It's not my place to push people into buying something they don't want, let's leave that to car salesmen and government officials. Some people obviously have this idea of a slick, trim, clean house and these methods don't fit their picture.

Define economical? Well for this discussion I guess I mean efficient in terms of construction. I want to develop a system that can be executed by people who are not experts at doing it. In other words, I want a way to enclose my walls that can be done by a non timber framer, a non specialized carpenter. This allows me to outsource a lot of work, freeing me up to focus on joinery and things like that. What if I were to build a frame that was to be shipped across the country for example? Would it be a good business practice if I had to ship my workers with it, paying for their hotels, food, etc. not to mention inconveniencing them (and probably myself too) by separating them from their families for a long period of time?
I want a system that can be done by people who don't need paid a lot of money, because they are readily available. -Efficient use of available labor

There is no single answer to the enclosure question in my opinion. It's all a case-by-case thing. I will do things like straw bales and clay and waddle and lime plaster whenever it fits the project and the customer. For example, I am currently building myself a small building for some extra space, this building will be a chance for me to use whatever I want. So what am I doing? I am siding the whole thing with wood, because I am emulating a specific style (one from outside of this country)

The v-groove probably will attract moisture, that is a flaw in the design I know. But will it sweat? Will it result in much heat loss? I thought about having a flexible foam or plastic stip of some sort attach to the post (in lieu of v-groove) or perhaps a series of them. Maybe a plastic half-tube deal with a foam core (just mulling over the idea in my head right now, dont mind my rambling)Something that insulates, is attached rigidly to the post, and can move through or along whatever insulation is there (I am envisioning cellulose)
Another concern is the thermal properties of the post itself. The wooden post has a lower r value than a corresponding cavity filled with insulation, and hardwoods can actually become heat conductors during the winter (as I understand it, the harder the wood the poorer its insulation value)

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/