That diagram can be used to represent the rafter tying into the end of the tie beam as is sometimes done, in which case there is no overhang. If that is the case then the rafter terminates at that point, and the tie beam may or may not have an angled end to match the roof slope, depending on whether or not the rafter depth requires it. The diagram can also be used to show a rafter that passes over the plate beside the tie beam, joined across the plate by a birdsmouth or some such, represented here by the right triangle that shows up where the plate and rafter overlap -this is the part where one or both must yield to the other.

according to the red lines, where else could I put the rafter other than where it is now? If I would center it on the line (instead o having the line mark its bottom edge) then both the tie and the plate would as a result have to be repositioned as well

I think that the tie beam should be run according to the red line like I have it because this balances the joint, it keeps the layout line as the central focus of joinery at this point

But yes, I do think there is more to things -to everything- than we see in front of us. To quote my favorite person of all time, "The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth"

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/