Any system we use to design a building is a set of limits, and from those limits a 'normal' arises. Normal, after all, is a relative term for something that conforms to the standard limits in a given system. A 'normal' door, for example, would conform to the standard industrial sizes of 2'8, 3'0, etc. anything other than that would be unusual

So we could assume that the Daisy Wheel creates its own normal that may or may not conform to the imperial or metric systems' normal. But I suspect that we could easily get things *close enough* to escape the building inspector's scrutiny. My building, for example, is close enough that I could call it a 24x14 and not have any problems with the system, even though it is about 1 1/2 inches off from that. The irrational numbers that the wheel is going to inevitably give you can easily be represented as real numbers for the sake of those of us that do not think geometrically, even if we step them off somehow when we actually lay out and join the timbers (whether it be with dividers or rods, or whatever system you choose to use). That is the reason that I have referred to my building as 24x14, even though that is a little bit inaccurate (a hair more than 1 1/2 inches off)

I was thinking of the problem of glass for my windows, for example. What am I going to do about that, I can't just send out to glass guy and ask for a piece cut the square root of some un-square-rootable number, or give him a set of dividers and ask him to come up with the glass size for me geometrically? But it would work just fine if I were to give him a size measured to fractions of an inch. What's important is that the frame for the window glass, which I will make myself, line up geometrically. It doesn't matter if the glass has a 1/8 inch of room or so inside the frame, where only bugs and dust and architectural historians a hundred years from now are going to be able to tell that I 'cheated'.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/