Waterproof?

Looks nice, and I'm sure it smells wonderful. That is if it is wood tar.

What will you be using this for?

This fall after the fields have been cleared I am planning on doing at least 1 tar burn, using the Scandinavian funnel-bottomed pit kiln method. There is a lot of wood on some huge piles back along the creek behind us here because the local airport did some work all along the creek bed to improve their drainage, due to a large extension of the runways. I hope to get a good deal of both tar and charcoal to use on my project, coal for the blocks and tar to seal off the timbers.

About the bricks, they are drying quickly, and will be dry by the end of the week no problem, possibly by Wednesday. At this point, they are remarkably lightweight, which is good. I will take some weight measurements when they are thoroughly dry and try to come up with an 'average'.

At this point, I would feel confident in saying that the risk of the charcoal being a fire hazard or dusting off (charcoal dust is bad) is very low. I am quite pleased with the way it bonded with the clay.

I have made one observation, however. Charcoal pieces cannot be larger than maybe 3/4", and preferably should be much smaller than that. IF they are too big, they are problematic and like to flake apart inside the clay.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/