Hello all:

Maxville is to the northeast of Cornwall Ontario here in Canada,
and was colonized around 1784 by Scottish United Empire Loyalists, who was part of a large contingent of displaced persons who remained loyal to the British Crown after the war of Independence.

I suspect that the building had scottish charcteristics due to the founding fathers, but they did bring other building ideas such as Dutch trademark techniques and incorporated them in their new buildings at that time.

There were the large anchor beam barns, and some swing beam barns sprinkled throughout the area, and by that I mean "Upper Canada" area that stretched from the Quebec border to Kingston Ontario, along the St. Lawrence, as far north as Ottawa on the Ottawa river, the capital of Canada.

Getting back to the school itself it had a very crude attic area with just round and spit logs crossing the building to support the ceiling

Lath and plaster was applied to these crude supports and with some manouvering by the part of the tradesman trued up the underneath side to hide all the roughness.

There were 4 layers of floors one on top of the other as they wore out, as far as I know the building has disappeared unfortunately, But I did some video work at that time, and copies of my work are stored in the archives at UPPER CANADA VILLAGE, I did retain a copy for my own records.

I was hoping to reconstruct the building in entirtey but time caught up to me and the best I could do was to try and preserve information for future generations

NH