Hey, Mo, what is up brother man?

Thanks for taking the time to post something; it sure seems pretty quiet around here, you know?

Hahaha, questions like how many hours we have in each bastard valley are what I try hard to never think about. Suffice to say that, by the time we were done cutting them, I was completely over even looking at them. They sure look magnificent, though, I think.

Thanks for complimenting the joinery, my friend. As you can see, there was no margin for error with so many bearing points sitting on other timbers and with so many valleys zeroing out on one center line; any error in elevation would not only have been catastrophic, but would have remained hidden for the months before assembly when all of our ability to "catch up" a problem would have been gone because everything was cut already.

Yeah, we often clip our jack and purlin nosings, though, with the Fein tool making the cutting much easier, it is less necessary from an ease of fabrication standpoint. All of our jacks and purlins were scribed into their valleys, as opposed to square ruling, so it was actually easier to just leave the noses going to a point. I guess they are a bit more fragile during shipping, but the points completely bury anyway, so that wasn't a big concern. Plus, with leaving the noses long (and the housings a bit longer than scribed), we were left with a bit of lateral adjustment that we thought would be helpful, maybe, during the raising.

Next post will show the bastards being place in space, in the shop, for all of the scribing! And that was was no small task, let me assure you.

www.otbdesignworks.com

Become a fan of OTB Designworks on Facebook, we'd love to have you