Dave,

The frame is exclusively hemlock. I do have quite a few cherry trees on my land, but I'm saving them something more refined than the barns.

For the next building, I chose the Monitor barn style because I want to include a bunkhouse in a portion of the second floor. With the Monitor, I'll get plenty of light and ventilation. On the first floor, I'll have a 10 x 26 woodworking shop on one end, with a sliding door that'll open it up to the rest of the barn for projects that spill over. The rest of the first floor will be used for misc ag stuff. There's a six-foot grade difference between the ends, so it'll be bank barn style with drive-in entry on one end, and an entry to the underground root cellar on the other.

The part that I haven't completely sorted out is the foundation. Given that the access to the land is an 8-foot wide unmaintained road, I won't be bringing any concrete trucks in. I've been leaning toward a hand-poured footing with laid block wall as it lends itself to my style of doing things - a one-man crew. (i.e. unable to afford paying contractors)

Best,
Kevin

~Kevin Rose
Northern Vermont