To me, too, the use of smaller timbers seems to be one of the most desirable features. It is amazing how the dimensions of a timber affect its price, and how it affects the way the timbers act in situ. I think it is important also to note how much of an effect the use of rectangular rather than square timbers can have. If you are sawing your timbers, it means more timbers can be yielded from any one length of log. If you are hewing, it means smaller trees can be used.

Now when considering a style like this, remember one thing, there is absolutely no reason why we have to do it exactly like they do. We don't have to copy their style to the t. If you are not a fan of the long braces, you don't have to use them. I happen to like their appearance visually.

I think one reason for them though is that their length gives them more opportunity to brace. They are not only joined at the top and the bottom, but also at the middle rail or rails in each cavity (brüstungsriegel). Sort of the same idea of the long passing braces in English frames that may pass as many as 5 posts.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/