I think a current position could be laudable, and constructive and educational - positive propaganda! It still goes with basic principles that most of us believe in, based on deep experience, a wealth of accumulated knowledge, and giving value and reverence to the life, health and sustainability of forests.

Lots of thought, research and discussion went into making that TFG Forestry Management Practices statement. It was a strong and clear position that, as I recall, was presented in various roundtables and forums to other groups in timber industries and forest conservation affecting (mostly Western) US and Canada.
Despite our (TFG) wisdom and fervor and effort, we were small compared to the economic clout of the very large lumber, house building, and wood products industries.

At that time there was much dissatisfaction and rebellion by many dedicated employees within the US Forestry Dept against both "forest management" practices and management policies. These calls for reform became long running conflicts against beauracracy, "tradition" and big monied interests - for many years. There was some changing of attitudes, and some changes of policy and practices. Also, do you remember the trade/tariff war and embargoes over wood products and logs, and "subsidies" between Canada and USA?
And the conflicts over protecting our national natural resources were re-run during the Bush Administration, which made gifts of our American common wealth to industry and their pals via the "Healthy Forests" and "Clean Skies" acts. Can you connect this to "mountaintop removal" regs for coal mining? Severe setbacks!

In the eastern US, where there is very little forested federal land, the effects were more about awareness, and influencing the grading of eastern species and of sustainability. Lots of education and lobbying was done by conservation groups and organizations, as well as by responsible commercial producers and users. TFG & TFEC were/are involved in testing, specifying and grading, and educating. And there is the NELMA (sp?). States and smaller jurisdictions have made many rules and regs re forest and land use.
Presently there are some federal "Stimulus" funds available for forest, wetland, watershed and farmland restoration, repair, improvement, and for developing management plans to help landowners, starting as small as 7 acres. In the east the $ comes from the USDA and is administered thru state forestry depts. That's how it is in NY - from the regional NYS forestry office where I can talk to people with faces, who also have the power to make decisions.
Bush made a big photo-op signing The Farm Bill of 2005, promising the above, but then his admin refused to release the funds so nothing got done. They said they had to use that money for other things - stuff it down that big hole invading and occupuying Iraq.

I'm glad you brought this question up, Jim. What an opportunity for us to help inspire and guide the development of the green economy. What's happening in Maine?
I'm sure others on this forum could add good info and opinions.

Steve

Shine on!