If you're going to build concrete block foundation walls I highly recommend the method called Surface Bonded Block, or SBC. I read an article in Fine Home Building 25+ yrs ago and switched to that method for any and all block work we've done since then. It uses Quickwall, a glassfiber reinforced stucco coating on both sides of the wall of dry-stacked block (no mortar in joints). It's much stronger and very close to waterproof. Like any concrete structure it will absorb/hold some moisture. It's especially good if you're working by yourself 'cause you only mix a 50# bag of Quickwall when you've got your wall or a section of wall blocks stacked plumb & level, shimmed w galv brick ties as necessary. If it's gonna rain later you can mix and apply 1/2 a bag... you become a pretty quick stucco man, not a slow joint man (or slower stone mason). In addition to stronger and taking less time, you make a stucco wall with whatever texture or smoothness you like, rather than an uglier block jointed wall which holds dirt in its porosity and lets water thru w very little pressure or saturation.
You set your first course of block with mortar onto your footing to get it straight and level. Then dry stack (and shim) after that. Threaded rod is vertically imbedded at 10' oc as you place the concrete footing in the forms. use 3' lengths in the footings w a bend at bottom to lock it into the footing, then after you stack 3 or 4 courses of block use a rod threaded coupler to attach another 3' allthread. there are a few more details....
Maybe you can find the article in FHB, or similar in Journal of Light Construction.
These aren't all the details for fabrication. See http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/SPEC_DATA-QUIKWALL.pdf for info and specs.
If you had lots of money you could construct a road for the big trucks and make steel reinforced poured concrete walls, or buy cut granite to fit and mortar into Better or Best.
Very important for whatever footings and foundation walls is DRAINAGE !!

And all this before the real fun of the Timber Frame work. I'll come up for your next raising. You did nice work w the hemlock.

Steve

Shine on!