So, I explored with Sketchup what you two are talking about I think...

In the image below, would the weak point (shear) be at the corner of the diminished housing? That's what its saying to me. If that is the point, would a bore at the corner alleviating the corner help. Sorta of like a master that bored at the birdsmouth of a rafter. Also, I think what Mike might be referring to is the fact that you have a tenon on the top of the post right above a mortise for the tie. Whole lot of post gone with that. Maybe just cut the middle of the tie out and lap on both sides around the post...

I've always wanted to take a long through tenon and make and additional joint. In the picture above the tie extends through to the prafter and is keyed with a half circle cylinder. Would this help?

P.S. this is just for fun. I like to design stuff just to file away and try and learn from you all.

P.P.S I often wonder at what point the powers that be, just look at something like this and say, "Whoa, too many variables, lets just put some metal in there!". But thats not as much fun!