Originally Posted By: Gabel
Without a continuous tie at plate level (or really close to it) you don't have a roof truss. If you are counting on the collar beams tying the rafter pairs together and preventing spreading, then I'm not sure that's going to work. The tension would be pretty high on the joint between rafter/collar and also that would place a pretty big point load on the rafter. Also, the ridge doesn't seem to be doing anything since it isn't held up by either posts or trusses.

Gabel,

I guess I'm getting my terminology mixed up. I'd assumed that a hammer beam configuration was a form of truss under the following definitions.

TRUSS. A network of timbers forming a rigid support structure; ideally, all members of the truss behave in either compression or tension, none in bending. Trusses are used to span distances impractical for solid members, or to support unusual loads.

HAMMER BEAM. A roof bracket consisting of an interrupted tie beam projecting from the top of a wall and supporting a roof truss. A complete hammer beam roof frame permits a large roof span made of relatively short timbers.

So the hammer beam, or "interrupted tie beam," is not capable of holding the tension?

Originally Posted By: Gabel
What's the height from the top of the loft floor to the top of the top plate?

6' 10"

The width of the span is 10'.

Thanks again for your feedback.

~Kevin

~Kevin Rose
Northern Vermont