Hello everyone tonight

Thanks for coming on board with constructive dialogue in relation to the many ways that were used to achieve wall surfaces around the globe.

It seems to boil down to what was available locally, traditions, and what technology was handed down from generation to generation

Over the years I tuned into the local building traditions of Upper Canada, which was settled by a mixture of German, dutch, Irish, Scottish, and English immigrants.

This of course resulted in a mixture of ideas and eventually resulted in a "Canadian" technique that only experienced persons can sort out where and when ideas originated, sometimes 2 to 300 years in advance.

I am not an authority on European techniques and really enjoy the input of this type of information from all of you.

I try and not stray away from areas that i am familiar with and feel comfortable talking about

The "reasonably old structures" surviving in Upper Canada are not old by European standards, but do exhibit the infusion of genetic building blocks that came with these early pioneers, who added features of other founding cultures and eventually these ideas melded into and became the "Canadian" culture as we know it today.

Take the technique of hewing square timbers by hand, this subject has really been kicked around on this thread, but as you study it you realize that the final resulting technique used just before stick framing came into main stream, probably combined the best and easiest way to work safely, and produce squared timber, with no more improvements made, it just seemed to stagnate and be taken by many as the way it was always done.

When you start to investigate the various techniques it is like looking back in time or as you look to the heavens and see light that is only now reaching us from time gone by.

Thanks for all your input you guys, maybe more of you will comment and widen out our level of knowledge.

enjoy

NH