Some folks asked me about my axe and related old tool collection...so I uploaded some pics and posted. This is not extensive. Its about half of my collection. Ive spent years and made contacts with various antiques dealers trying to find axes. I love them simply because they are so utilitarian and indispensable...If you could only take one tool...youd be wise to take an axe.

Left to Right:

A mid 19th French axe, huge, about 16 inches across

A 14th-16th century axe, German

A 17th or early 18th century New England/Canadian trade axe (heavy sucker)

A 18th century axe

A paper cut out of a jamestown axe I replicated

Next Row...

A 16th or 17th century German axe, hewing

A 17th or 18th century hewing axe, Eastern Europe

A Canadian hewing axe, cast steel, probably 19th century

A 19th century axe, hewing

A replica of 18th century version...my handy dandy hatchet

A similar hand forged axe, date unknown. Could be 17th or 18th century, not sure

Bottom Row

A hand forged multip purpose scy-axe, probably 18th or 19th

A railroad brush cutter 19th century

A french "shoulder axe" (bloody name escapes me at the moment)

A nice adze from Transylvania 18th century

A 17th or 18th century light adze or hoe, English

Second picture is my froe, hand forged from a piece of spring steel. Great for splitting planks. Its almost 18 inches long. And one of my hand hewing axes which I mounted on a longer handle...and it works great. But I had to do a lot of repair on this hewing axe as it was in bad shape. I dont usually use my antiques, ie put them to use as I feel they earned retirement and would prefer to build new ones, but this guy was repaired via poor weld so I felt the liberty of redoing the job and giving it a second chance.

And finally below...the "bearded axe" (yours truly a bit glazed after hours of work)

Now shown are a few of the axes Ive forged and a very rare 12th or 13th century axe which Ill try to remember and photograph.

Well enjoy and feel free to ask me any questions.

cheers
Drew

Last edited by Andrew Young; 01/13/11 11:31 PM.