I am working out the details of the enclosure of my shop, and need to decide between 2 different traditional styles. The first is a half timbered exterior and interior, the second is an infilled wall with a board clad exterior.

I like the look of half-timbering, but I have to wonder if it would be appropriate for my climate. I live in Central Indiana where humidity levels are quite high, it rains frequently, and super cell thunderstorms com by often with their heavy rains and high, driving winds. Half timbering was not designed for this climate, and I wonder if it would leave the frame too susceptible.

I would not use wattle and daub, it simply would not survive our weather. My infill would be a German style, using brick, stone, or clay/loam. It would have a generous coating of plaster inside and out. What I worry though is if the interface between infill and timber would attract too much moisture.

The wood is not going to be oak, rather it is going to be assorted locally available wood. This includes rot-proof species like cherry and walnut, but it also includes rot-susceptible species like hard maple and hickory. The timbers, however, will be thoroughly sealed and painted on all faces that may come in contact with moisture (it's a part of the tradition) The roof overhang is also very wide, so it will provide a good deal of protection.

I wouldn't despair if I had to abandon the half timbering and clad the frame with some nice boards, I like the all wood look too

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/