Hello D L

Well DL some churches do have exposed beams in the ceilings, but if you want to see lovely timber framing just climb up in the attics above the lath and plaster and you will see some of the most beautiful original timber trusses, that are not weathered and just there for the viewing, here again you have to have the oportunity and permission to be able to probe around in these old structures.

When The TTRAG met in Morrisburg a few years ago I hosted them through UCV historic site, and I had set up the itinerary for the group to enter the attic of Christ Church to view the Lovely timber trusses that were exposed in the attic, these trusses held up the gothic ceiling of the sanctuary, and you can see just how the gradual arch of the ceiling was formed on the underside of the trusses,

It is a marvel to see the huge trusses fabricated using white oak, and sit there and imagine the order of construction and try to theorize how they were put together and raised in their present position,

This church was built in 1820 well before any modern equipment was available.

Another structure that I visited and photographed was the lutheran church in Williamsburg Ontario Canada built in 1865 The trusses in the attic are spectracular spanning 40 feet and fabricated using all hand hewn timber.

The trusses look like they were just hewn yesterday

NH