Hello,

The cost of a new compared to an old flea market axe is not as straight forward as it might first seem, at least in the case of a broad axe.

The axe I am using now is a fine Swedish double bevel hewing axe I bought new 12 years ago.

Typically, after 6 days of use I spend a half a day sharpening, (not including honing it in-between sharpenings). If it gets nicked that costs me an extra day to grind, sharpen and hone. And this is a double bevel, or two short surfaces.

I can imagine untold hours of lapping, on a not so ready available, properly sized lapping plate, to get the flat side of a rusty and pitted, if not superficially polished up, antique, or lets old, broadax that cost initially €100, polished decently. Then you are talking about an expensive axe.

On the other hand, and in no small part accessible because of the internet, there are many blacksmiths from Finland down to France and everywhere in between who are forging and offering many types of broadaxes that will cost you between €200 and €300. Oh yea, left or right handed versions too.

I like the idea of putting good old tools back to use, but in the case of - I qualify - a single beveled hewing axe, I don't see it as practical, (not to mention the desirability of hours on top of a lapping plate). Of course it can all depend on your idea of what constitutes sharpness .

Oh yea, Andrew Young, the word you were looking for is bisaiguë but in fact the tool is a Kreuzaxt.

Last edited by Cecile en Don Wa; 01/24/11 10:09 AM.