Don, the situation is a little bit different in America.

All of the best modern tools come from German speaking countries or from Sweden, with Japan coming up next in line. America is, sad to say, a good ways back there.

But this was not always so

During the 1800's it is generally said that American blacksmiths, and later American industry, produced the best steel tools in the world, and these are still some of the best tools to be found by modern standards.

The steel used may be inferior to German tool steels, but the difference is in the process. The old tool makers were excellent forgers -they beat a lot of strength into the metal, and most important they had mastered the fine art of tempering. A Good tool from this era holds an edge like no other.

I have a Gooswewing broadaxe made in Pennsylvania some time around 1800 or so -I can surmise that from the way it is put together (assuring me it is hand forged before the 1830's) and the way it is decorated, clearly an early Pennsylvania Dutch product. This 200 year old axe will hold a keen edge every bit as good as my new Gransfors broad axe (which is today used as a joinery axe and not a hewing axe) And better than my Ochsenkopf Stichaxt, which certainly holds a good edge in its own right.

I have a few old axes that I bought from Europe, and I must say in comparison the quality of the temper is not nearly as good. But they are fine tools nonetheless and certainly usable.

That said, I have nothing against modern made tools. I have a few and intend to get more as the tool fund gets fat enough. I love old tools because I love old things in general, it it gives me a strong sense of connection to those who came before me. I love modern tools because I like practicality and function.

As far as cost, I paid about $250 for my Goosewing. In semi-restored (cleaned up, but still with the brown patina) and a good keen edge in fine working condition, it is worth well over twice that. Part of the reason for that is because of WHAT it is and when and where it was made. genuine PA goosewings can be worth a fortune. I never would have paid that much for another old axe, $100 is my usual top end of what I am willing to pay, and I prefer to pay less than half of that. I got a fine PA pattern broad axe that needed some minor retuning of the edge for $25, I could sell it today for maybe $150 to $200 (it is certainly pre Civil War) And can tell a similar story of my carpenters adze which was made in the 1830s. But in the case of the Goosewing it was exactly what I had been looking for, in excellent condition, and priced to sell. I knew exactly what I was looking at, and I don't think anybody else did. It also happens to be the most beautiful tool in my shop. Finely decorated along the non-functioning edges and on the front face. Clearly hand tooled, yet excellently made and finished. There are maybe 1 or two tiny spots that give away the fact that it is hammer forged, but otherwise it is almost immaculately perfect. The forge line between the bit and the body is so fine that the only indication that it is even there is the difference in grain quality between the steel bit and the wrought iron body. There is no seam. And oh yeah, it is a joy to hew with even though it is a left-hand bevel (which does not mean you have to use it left handed. I am right handed and almost find it easier to use a left hand bevel)

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/