Hi D. L.

First some housekeeping:

I could not get the illustration on your January 20th post to enlarge, if this is true with others than the names are illegible.

In your sentence just under this illustration "It should be noted that terminology is note 100% compatible with the common English terms, especially when classifying joints." I think note should say not.

And, I do not understand the description pfettendach roof. I see lots of collars, what do you mean "...Stehender Pfettendachstuhl [directly posted purlins that support the rafters, no collar ties]"?

The Liegender Kehlbalkendachstuhl did make it to America, particularly in places Germans settled in numbers and is known by the simpler name "Liegender stuhl" such as is illustrated in the book The Pennsylvania barn: its origin, evolution, and distribution in North America. It may be a coincidence but this type of assembly is a relatively common way to frame a gambrel roof, too.

http://books.google.com/books?id=y6T_kOFmeRQC&pg=RA2-PA209&lpg=RA2-PA209&dq=%22liegender+stuhl%22&source=bl&ots=Lhc1WlKiUX&sig=imOmovgKXfCs3_QcDYMnJxEyuGk&hl=en&ei=npNQTdHbE9PpgQfc-rC-CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=%22liegender%20stuhl%22&f=false.

I find it interesting that the use of an upper and lower plate capturing a tie beam or joist is such a widespread European technique. I think it is an ancient form.

Also, is there much difference between the names of the framing pieces in standard German vs. Swiss-German? Other dialects?

Thanks;
Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909