Are you using firefox? With firefox right click on the image and hit 'view image' and it should load it full-size. I Don't know about Internet Explorer or Google Chrome or other browsers. If it is a problem, I can post links to the pictures.

yes, note should say not. Unfortunately I can't go back and change it any more!

In a Pftetendach roof there are collars many times, but if you look closely you will see the purlin is above, not below, the collars. In this case, the only function of the collars is to support an attic floor. The purlins here support the rafters, in a Kehlbalkendach the purlins support the collars.

In German, the Ligender Kehlbalkendachstuhl is usually just shortened to liegender stuhl, but the former is its 'technical', descriptive name. Although Liegender Stuhl is more general and at times refers to a pfettendach as well. Thanks for the link, I had been wanting to track this down to see if it had made it over here!

There are various theories as to where the Gambrel roof came from. Sometimes it is thought to be an American invention, however this cannot be the case. Many suspect it has its origins in Switzerland, as it is common in certain regions, particularly the cantons of Jura and Schwyz, for barn roofs to be framed like this. I have heard it said that Swiss Mennonites who came from Kanton Bern by way of the Jura brought this type of barn with it. The Pennsylvania barn is at times credited to the Swiss Mennonites and Amish of Pennsylvania, both of which have origins in Bern and the Jura.

The American log cabin, it can be noted, also comes from Switzerland ultimately. The English settlers of America didn't have them. At one point thousands of settlers from Switzerland arrived in the Appalachians, bringing with them their blockbau techniques. The American corner joints are rather simplified versions of the old Swiss ones, intended for strict function and ease, and adapted to local hardwoods.

As far as the captured joists, the Germans at least came it is their invention, and spread to the rest of Europe from the Holy Roman Empire. It is not ancient, the earliest examples known are from the 15th century. Before that German houses were framed quite a bit like we make timber frames in America today.

As far as terminolgy, the German language itself has to be discussed. Until very recently it was almost an imaginary language, with most literate people able to read and write it but few of them able to actually speak it. The German dialects are quite diverse.
Germany, and Switzerland have 2 different standards, but they are very similar. Sort of like American and British English. As far as I can tell, the terminology tends to be more or less the same. A large reason for this is likely that they are in most cases learned from books.

There are a few 'dialekt' terms I have come across no and then, but scholarly publication tend to use more or less the same terms.

One example, however, of how terminology can vary is the name of a post. It can be called a Pfost, Ständer, or Steil. These three can also at times have more distinct meanings, a Pfost for example may refer to a buried post, and Steil may be used to refer to a stud. The joists can be referred to as Balken or Deckenbalken (beams or ceiling beams) and the names of roof structures vary, mostly with how descriptive the writer is trying to be. (Liegender Stuhl v. Liegender Kehlbalkendachstuhl)

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/