It sounds like most framers build the cost of the crane into the bid. We do. The bid includes both a crane and a site reach forklift. Many times there are only 3 of us prebuilding and a reach forklift uses up one of these people but the forklift and a lifting strap can lift any post or plate we have and lift it right into place with no real lifting on our part. Also, these timbers need to be off loaded from the delivery truck and this can be done in short order with the reach forklift.

A point well taken is that having your own crane does take a man from the crew. The other thing ot consider is how much experience do you have in operating a crane. These are dangerous pieces of equipment. I tend to find that most of us timber framers are independent type people but we should be sure that this independent nature, which is good at times, does not put us in a bad spot. A good crane operator coming onto the job site with his crane is worth quite a bit and his experience should not be ignored.

Another thing to remember is maintenance. A motor burning up, a high pressure line going south, or any number of other items needing repair is going to cost alot. I would rather have that cost being taken care of by the crane owner.

I have talked insurance with my crane operator in the past. He has a 15 ton boom truck, a 30 ton Terex, and a 90 ton Krup. His liability insurance two years ago was some where in the neighborhood of $30,000. Unless some one is doing a whole lot of frame raisings this surely is not worth it.

As for cost, an Ingersoll Rand reach forklift, VR843, costs us $1125/wk or $2550/mo. If we are on site raising the timber frame and installing panels the $2550 pays for itself easily and is worth another man. And, it is always there in the morning and never late to work.