Having nibbled with chisels for a little while, I realize a need for a larger tool more appropriate for larger joinery jobs. So, I am looking to obtain a slick, which will be used mainly for grand scale furniture projects and some light framing jobs. It is however possible that I might find some use for it in more than just one or two log home building projects as well. The typical materials to be worked will be scots pine and spruce, which are abundant here in Finland.

The two tools available from my supplier are the 60mm and 85mm slicks by Robert Sorby. I gather that these are probably quality tools, does anyone have more perspective on this? Ergonomy is a priority to me, what should I be looking for in a slick in that respect?

Another question is the breadth of the cutting edge. With 60mm and 85mm slicks available, how should I decide upon the right size? How does the width of the tool relate to the size of the joints used? Basically, if I end up ordering either one of the Sorbys, I will have to decide which one is optimal for me.