While studying up on the idea of a light framed enclosure, and while pondering the idea of a larsen truss enclosure I had a thought come to me, and I present it here for evaluation.

The principle behind the Larsen Truss is to prevent thermal bridging by not having any wood connect both sides of the cavity.

With this in mind, an idea came to me.

What if one was to build a double frame enclosure, where there are 2 light frames with studs 2' OC, staggered, so that the studs of the inside frame set between the studs of the outside frame.

The size of the studs could vary, it could be a double 2x4 wall or perhaps a double 2x2 or 2x3 wall, and of course a double 2x6 for super insulation. It would seem likely that the easiest method to execute this would be to have each wall section with its own plate, and the two units connected either by a double plate at the top, or strapping connecting the two plates.

One possibility is also that the two frames could be separated as well as tied to each other with a layer of perhaps 1/2" foam sheathing, or OSB could be used here if there are structural concerns that need dealt with such as shear stress.

2 2x2 frames connected and separated with an intermediate layer of OSB would be plenty sturdy to support insulation and wall enclosures, and by increasing the size of the studs you increase the r-value of the assembly. Very easily adapted to budget in this way.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/